Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Great Tomato Transplant

My poor tomatoes! This is the first year I have started tomato seeds indoor and per my green thumb mother's instructions, I was told to start them in five's in red solo cups (Toby Keith ruins everything). Drill some holes and voila, they're a fraction of the price of seed planters.

So, the day has come to transplant my tiny babies into single containers and they are in complete shock. I feel so bad for the little guys, they look like limp weeds just blasted with a shot of Round-Up.

Here are some photos, I hope they perk up. These are the seeds from my mother's famed tomato collection, from which she makes about $5 a plant to her loyal customers. So for anyone who wants to start tomatoes, I suggest using the 5 seed transplant method, even through you have to endure their sad shocked state for a few days.

Should they make it, all my friends will be enjoying organic brandy wine, sun cherry, and heirloom tomaters. I have a few more breeds to transplant, but they're not quite ready.

Happy spring!

Five seedlings on the left. One depressed, transplanted seeding on the right.
The tomato ICU - hanging on for dear life.

No comments:

Post a Comment